Swim - 1/6 of a mile, Bike - 30 miles, Run - 6.5 miles
http://www.set-upinc.com/rp5/KineticQuarter/kinquarter.shtml
Just as the 1/2 marathon whim started, so did the triathlon whim. I haven't done any serious training since my Ironman days due to my IT band injury. But the idea of racing this weekend sounded appealing. I was excited about seeing where I was without much training.. I knew my swimming would be really bad as I've swam only once this year (that was on Wednesday). My biking was doing good, and my running way behind.
Before I knew it, the plan was for Kelly (Wozzy from Triathlete.com site) to fly in on Friday and the three of us (Geoff, Kelly & I) to head down and register for the Kinetic Half Triathlon, the day before the race. Kelly was suppose to do the collegiate nationals tri in Reno, but knew the swim was going to be cancelled so opted to fly out and race with us. Good decision Kelly! Here we are sitting on the couch.Things I learned at the race:
- There's a reason for training.
- I angle left when swimming, which is definitely away from the buoys.
- If you struggle to take off your wetsuit in the water, volunteers will help you out whether you want it or not.
- Spending the extra time to put on a long sleeve jersey can be difficult in the pouring rain but was a life saver on the bike.
- Thirty miles feels really long when biking hard, in the the rain, without enough training.
- Never try a flying dismount in the rain on a down hill. It could hurt. Hope your bruises and shoulder are feeling better Kelly.
- Staying within myself seemed like a great idea during the race as I was there for fun, but sucks after when you missed getting an award by one.
Well I did it! Here we are after the race. I completed my first triathlon in over 2 1/2 years. Can you believe it's been that long since the start of my IT band injury. Last two years I did a few relays and races (knowing I would drop out), but never finished all three events. I'll get the results tomorrow, but I thinkI finished 4th in my age group. Kelly took 2nd overall for women and Geoff 25th. They did awsome! As for me, this was my first time racing and not getting a award but who cares. I'm excited to be back and running full steam again and ready to train. Thanks for getting me out there and excited about training again!Geoff's race report:
http://www.triathlete.com/msg.php?id=28736
Laura
No comments:
Post a Comment