Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Allergies, Allergies Go Away

I've been having this nagging cough, actually more like a hack for a week know and it's getting old. I thought maybe I had picked up a cold somewhere but nope, it seems to be allergies. Now for someone that hasn't ever had allergies before, it's annoying! Here's a few thoughts:
  • Virginia has a huge pollen count. I have no data to support this claim, except my allergies are showing for the first time and I can't sleep (= 1:30am blog post).
  • The people in Minnesota are way cooler then here. The folks out here are stuck on themselves. Enough said.
  • Hail hurts. I did my first brick (bike then run) today and got caught in a hail/rain down pour for I'd say 20min. All I can say is, ouch. (How can you have hail when it's 74 degrees out is beyond me... Andy any thoughts?)
  • Geoff is the most amazing gentleman. He's worth all this trouble and so much more.


1 comment:

  1. Courtesy of the Lansing MI Fire Dept:
    "Hail starts out as falling rain, several miles up in the clouds. But an updraft (an upward blowing wind) holds the rain aloft, moving it upward instead of allowing it to fall. As the rain goes up, it freezes because of the colder temperatures aloft. Drops of super cooled water (agitated liquid water colder than 32 degrees) hit these pellets of ice and freeze on. The mass of ice may fall and then be lifted again several times, each time getting larger and larger as more water freezes onto it. When the hail is so big that the updraft can't hold it aloft any more, it falls to the ground. Other times, the updraft may weaken, or shift its position and the hail falls because of that. The stronger the updraft is, the larger the hail can be. It takes an updraft of 55+ mph to create hail the size of a golf ball, and an updraft of 90+ mph or more to create hail the size of a baseball."

    Allergies suck -- I'm starting to feel it here now that the trees are starting to bud. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete