Sunday, September 24, 2006

Cyclocross #1

Biking + sharp turns + hurdles + running + hills + rain = cyclocross racing

Had my first cyclocross race of the season this morning. What a heart burning all out thrill. It was my second one ever. We had done a hilly 60 mile ride the day before so I was feeling pretty worn out but it went great.

RACE REPORT
We left at 6:45am. Suddenly on our trip up to Baltimore, MD the freeway closed. We got there with enough time to register, but sadly not to preview the whole course. Yikes, I'd have to start without knowing what to expect.

At the start 20 girls lined up. I was in the second row. The gun went off I got into 7th position going into the trail. Given my lack of mountain bike type handling skills and no course preview, I was cautious the first two laps while figuring out all the technical sections. Racers were slidding out left and right. By the second lap I started taking the sharp turns faster and began thinking about catching those in front of me. I pasted two girls that lap and held my place for the last two.

Whew, felt great to be done. Talk about tough. I ended up getting fifth place and took home some good swag. Got socks, container of energy drink, training undershirt, and a gift certificate for road id! Pretty sweet for my first race!

No comments:

Post a Comment