Thursday, March 11, 2010

Pregnancy Update


I am now 5 days away from my due date. Wow so soon. It has really hit me. People have asked if I'm nervous about the whole thing, especially with trying for a natural VBAC (vaginal birth after Cesarean) and I've always said no. But after yesterdays OB appointment I'm not so sure I can say that. It's not that I don't feel ready. I am just reminded how much the doctors and I don't see eye to eye on the small issues. Each appointment they seem to add another thing. I knew from the beginning we didn't see everything the same, but now as the date looms it is bothering me more.

For example for a natural vaginal birth the best thing you can do is stay home as LONG as possible before being checked into the hospital. The longer you are at the hospital the more they will want to intervene and not always with necessary procedures. Wait well into the first stage. However now, as of the last visit, they want me coming in right away because of the "risk" a VBAC posses and labor in the hospital. This counters everything I've learned about a successful natural process. What do I do? Why are they mentioning this, among other things now? Why do they have to challenge the idea of letting a women, her body and her baby follow the natural process so much? Why isn't there a middle ground between a home birth and a hospital birth? I find I have many questions now swirling around in my head. In the end I know my main goal is still 'happy baby, happy mother' just like with Miles. But I do hope in the end I do not regret the decisions I made or are about to make.

Pregnancy Stats:
  • Due Date: March 16th, 2010 (according to docs office)
  • Timeline: 39 weeks, 2 days.
  • Sickness: Nauseousness is back to very high. All day and night long. Ugh.
  • Sleep: 2 out 10. I'm up most nights for hours at a time.
  • Overall Feeling: Lets get this done.
  • Visitor Hospital Policy: They lifted the restriction last week so Miles can now come visit us in the hospital! Ya!

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry to hear how stressed you are about this delivery right now. It sounds like your OB is very uncomfortable with VBACs in general. I want to really encourage you that ultimately you are in charge of your birth plan. Your doctor and nurses can suggest things, but so long as you and your precious little baby are doing well you can labor the way you choose. I don't mean to stir up anything. I only want to encourage you to continue to make your decisions with Geoff and don't let your doctor scare you into backing down on your plan. I will be praying for you and Geoff this week and for the many decisions you have to make. I pray everything goes smoothly and that mommy and baby are happy and healthy. Keep us posted! :)

    ReplyDelete