Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Bad News for a Natural Delivery

My doctor wanted me to go in for another ultrasound because I am measuring small for the week of pregnancy I am in. I have measured around 35 for more then three weeks when I am currently at 39 weeks. So yesterday I headed to the ultrasound to see if anything was wrong with little baby Beaty. The GOOD news is baby is healthy. Measured around 37 weeks. Small for it's week but otherwise seems health and getting enough nutrition.

BREECH
The first thing the tech said after starting was the word breech. It took me a few seconds to register what this meant. Baby Beaty is BREECH. Bum down, head and legs up. Not at all ready for a successful delivery. It means everything Geoff and I have worked for in a natural delivery is out the door. Exactly what I hoped to avoid is coming true, a scheduled c-section.

THE REASON
3-4% of babies are breech at delivery. Each one has a reason why the baby won't go head down as it naturally should. After reading about it I seem to fit an idea candidate. Tight ab, hip flexors & round ligaments, low amniotic fluid, and it runs in the family genes. All of which I have. If your low on amniotic fluid baby doesn't have enough room to move around. Then with tight muscles in the pelvic region baby wouldn't have enough room to put it's head low.

NEXT STEPS
I have my doctor's appt tomorrow to go over the ultrasound results. There I believe he'll want me to schedule a c-section. Hopefully he will work with me, but I'm not optimistic. Even thought there is little hope of baby switching around I am trying everything naturally possible. I went and saw my chiropractor, got acupuncture, and have been doing some inversions to try and get baby to move. Nothing like hanging out upside down (40 degree angle) for 20 minutes. So pray for us. We'll see what becomes of all this...

1 comment:

  1. Good luck today I will keep my fingers crossed for you and keep you guys in my prayers

    ReplyDelete