Thursday, March 13, 2008

Switching Doctors & Hospitals

I have always wanted to have a natural childbirth. Not because anyone I know has had one. But because I want to know first hand what a birth is like. I want to experience it the way God made it. Not half out of it and restricted to bed, due to a 1/2 dozen or so drugs.

That choice has let to another one. I've decided I need to switch my ob/gyn doctor. Let's just say I'm glad I finally asked some important questions and we aren't seeing eye to eye regarding labor. I never realized how many doctors in this area have the primary response of using Epidural, drugs and c-sections. Nor did I realize the hospital I picked has the highest rate of C-sections in Northern Virginia. (And we are talking about an area where scheduling a c-section so you know your due date is not that uncommon.)

So here's a taste of our conversation...

Question: What's your thoughts on medical intervention like using drugs vs. a natural childbirth?
Answer: Well, women that get an epidural make my life much easier.
Internal Response: ((Likely a shocked but attempting to hide it look. I thought birth was about the mother & child, not the doctor?))

Question: What do you think of natural childbirth?
Answer: Almost all my patients end up with an epidural. If you come in here expecting to have a natural childbirth it almost never happens. You can only success if you start now and put months of planning into it.
Internal response: ((So you don't really go for natural huh?))

Question: I am planning on taking the Bradley method childbirth classes, that focus on natural method and my husband being my coach.
Answer: Just realize they will tell you that all doctors are evil and out to get you! We the doctors are here for you and know what is best for you.
Internal response: ((Oh, like giving me an epidural?...))

Question: Would you work with me if I want natural?
Answer: Yes, but know that you don't always get what you plan. Don't be one of those difficult patients who will always stick to their plan.
Internal Response: ((makes sense))
For example after 6 hours of labor you'd better be willing to get a c-section.
Internal Response: ((SHOCKED look again. Doesn't that seem really short?))

That's it for now!
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment